There are two names of automated tools for digital security we want to review as the rivals they are: Comodo vs Kaspersky.
This comparative offers a comprehensive view on each to help you make the right choice for your digital security.
So, on this occasion, we invite you to give a deep look into their capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, and advantages.
And so it starts:
Comodo vs Kaspersky: The Contestants
In the first place, we have Comodo Internet Security, or simply Comodo CIS. Since 2004 Comodo CIS has had its base of operations in Clifton, New Jersey (United States).
Although it was founded in Great Britain in 1998. Comodo CIS has evolved practically at the same pace as Kaspersky Lab.
Therefore, both share the same goal of providing digital protection.
However, Comodo CIS focuses its energies on addressing digital security from the perspective of certificates, firewalls, and similar solutions.
In this sense, Comodo CIS offers a variety of products associated with its branches Comodo CA Limited (SSL certificates).
Comodo Security Solutions (dedicated to the development of B2B and B2C software for digital security); and DNS.com (provides DNS services).
Additionally, Comodo CIS is also widely known for its Freemium version; which is a free premium version that offers a fairly complete alternative for virus detection; anti-spam and anti-spyware protection.
Many users and experts prefer this version for its wide capability that we can additionally upgrade on demand.
Also, Comodo CIS combines antivirus, antimalware, and antispam with Defense+.
Whose premise starts with the assumption of no unknown file or program is completely safe. Thus, Comodo CIS extends its range to more threats.
Type of Protection
- Real-time scanning of mail, games, IM, etc.
- Silent analysis of the complete network infrastructure.
- Real-time detection of dubious applications and unauthorized changes of sensitive data.
- Scans and blocks websites with malicious URLs.
- It offers protection against spyware, malware, viruses, rootkits, etc.
- Robust firewall is more advanced than the average. Blocks external attacks and controls how programs connect to the Internet.
- It Includes VPN (Comodo’s Trust Connect) with 10GB of monthly traffic, and free DNS servers.
- Sandbox features to run and analyze suspicious programs. It also has an additional desktop application for Secure Shopping that protects your online transactions and associated data.
- Constant and silent virus DataBase updates, which are always available for final users and experts.
- Includes a proprietary browser (Comodo Dragon) available for configuration at first running. It also counts with Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) actions designed to block suspicious programs.
- Pre-configured actions for file protection.
- Discriminates activities, policies, and advanced rules for handling security events.
- Log protection in most Operating Systems (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP), and legacy systems. Also includes 64bit systems.
- Compatible with other antivirus and security suites.
- Drag & Drop capability to scan files.
Technical Support and Customer Service
- Comodo CIS Technical Support Center (GeekBuddy) is very comprehensive and trained. Its agents are always willing to provide effective solutions in record time. In case of zero-day attacks, GeekBuddy technicians will attend to you remotely.
- Extended warranty, one of the most complete in the market. Of course, you need to correctly activate Comodo CIS and read the fine letter.
- It offers large online storage (50GB) for your backups.
- Includes Defense+, which does not abuse alarms even when it neither assumes that everything runs properly on your networks; devices, and technology.
On the other hand, we have Kaspersky Lab. Based in Moscow, Russia.
This company started operations setting the standard for a new conception of digital security during the late ’90s.
Since then, Kaspersky Lab earned a reputation as an industrial giant in the business of digital security stylizing itself.
It was the first company to introduce anti-virus to directly protect Internet users.
Then, this innovative vision of Kaspersky Lab was granted a place of honor. However; not everything is a bed of roses for Kaspersky Lab.
On the other hand, it was strongly affected by a security flaw that went public. Such vulnerability came true the worst nightmare of every business.
Hackers gained access and get their hands on the files of the National Security Agencies in the United States of America, among others.
In short, Kaspersky Lab proved to be a hunted hunter.
However, Kaspersky’s contribution to the world of digital security is undeniable and as such.
Thus, it proudly cumulates at least 30 products aimed to protect a wide range of consumers, from individuals to businesses and organizations around the world including governments and national security agencies.
As expected, the company’s still recovering and reinventing itself from that ugly security event.
Nonetheless, as entrepreneurs; we must keep in mind this information when choosing a security suite for our companies.
Let’s move then into the pros and cons of this option in digital security.
Type of Protection
- Antivirus focused on Phishing and malware threats. Keeps blinded the personal, business, and financial information.
- Protects files, instant messaging, Internet, controls applications, web sites, exploit detection, blocking pop-ups, and safe navigation.
- Protection against unknown threats in hybrid environments. Detects activities and patterns of suspicious behavior in networks, systems, and devices.
- It has a special storage area for quarantine. It allows you to make informed decisions and actions to dispose of infected files.
- Protection against common vulnerabilities in programs and applications.
- It Includes Virtual Keyboard that protects you from keyloggers.
- Includes Kaspersky Rescue Disk to boot infected computers and make disinfections directly from the BIOS.
- Reviews URL links.
- Detects suspicious changes in systems and networks made by malicious programs.
- Upgradeable on demand.
- Limited to customizing security level actions.
- Light, easy to install, it does not consume many resources of the device.
- Guaranteed functionality and proprietary tools for security management of multiple devices (up-to 3); license management; etc.
- Integrates and simplifies security management of the associated devices.
- Silent, works in the background, consumes low resources.
- Quick Scan.
- Global Security Network (Kaspersky Security Network – KSN) that collects and monitors emerging threats. It works as a laboratory compiling alerts and warns of new threats.
- It supports all major operating systems (Mac, iOS, Android, Windows)
- User-friendly interface with clear and simple menus.
- Comprehensive coverage on mobile devices under a single license.
Comodo vs Kaspersky: The Comparison
At a glance, we found that Comodo vs Kaspersky converge and diverge in their general features.
However, this is not a surprise because both brands address their proposals from different perspectives.
Same, what really matters to us as managers, end-users, and executives is understanding how such convergences and differences impact the protection of our networks and devices. Let’s then move in that direction:
Now, let’s analyze the most representative disadvantages of Comodo vs Kaspersky.
Comodo CIS: Disadvantages
- Available only in English.
- Occupies a large space in disk (130MB).
- Cumbersome uninstalling.
- Includes additional programs and systems whose suitability for your business you should evaluate.
- Higher prices.
Kaspersky Lab: Disadvantages
- Slow signature update
- Limited to a few files analyses (zip, ace, rar).
- It presents some problems for evaluating threats in compressed files.
- Circumvents some files. It just does not disinfect them for no particular reason.
- Poor customer service and customer support.
Comodo vs Kaspersky: Final Thoughts
While Comodo vs Kaspersky are dissimilar contenders regarding their proposals.
They are both aimed to maintain excellence in digital security with the purpose of gaining the user’s preference.
In this regard, we highlight our comments on the weaknesses of each proposal and their possible solutions.
So, on the one hand, Comodo CIS does not have the same years of experience that does have Kaspersky Lab.
However Comodo CIS does not need to restore its customer’s faith around the world.
In the same vein, Kaspersky Lab needs to review and establish simple bridges with users from Technical Support and Customer Service.
Such bridges should be laid over customer acquisition campaigns, and such campaigns must be based on the real improvement of the virus databases.
Only like this, the incident that rocked Kaspersky’s reputation will be just part of the past.
Also, Comodo CIS needs to review and rethink that huge demand on disk space for installation; including more languages set-ups; and simplify the way it is uninstalled.
All things considered, we hope we have helped you to understand and weigh the capabilities; strengths; weaknesses, and advantages of each of these two formidable contenders.
Same, we wait that this comparison between Comodo vs. Kaspersky has provided you with all the information you were looking for.
If you want to delve into this or another issue on digital security, write us here! We’ll be waiting for you.