It is normal for any major transformation to generate resistance, even the implementation of ITSM. For some work teams, accepting a change in the way they carry out their daily activities can be a real challenge. However, managing this resistance to achieve real ITSM cultural change can be half the way to successful implementation.
Achieve your goals and learn how to protect your project against resistance to change to achieve success in ITSM implementation by following some simple strategies.
Firstly, what do we mean by ITSM Cultural Change?
The success of the ITSM implementation project begins with a cultural change, but what exactly is this about?
It means that every member of the IT team needs to be convinced of the importance and benefits of ITSM implementation in the organization. Because in this way each actor involved will be truly committed to following the strategies required to achieve the objectives proposed.
In short, the ITSM cultural change involves motivating the human factor to accept and execute any new action; aimed at improving the business through IT Service Management.
The main advantages that can bring ITSM cultural change
The ITSM cultural change is essential because it brings high benefits for organizations, among them we have:
- Establishing better strategies aligned with the business
- Reduction of risks associated with implementation.
- Reduced implementation time.
- Minimization of interruptions.
- Efficiency in internal processes.
- Satisfied users.
Which factors can promote resistance to change?
There are several reasons why members of the IT team may be resistant to change, for example:
- Old habits: It is normal that sometimes, human beings experience a certain fear of new things. As a result, it is common that when implementing ITSMs, you will encounter people who have difficulty adopting new strategies and changing the way they usually carry out their activities.
- Disinformation: Organizational transformation brings with it a significant amount of new information, which can cause some confusion among team members and therefore motivate their lack of commitment.
- Skepticism: Some of the people involved in the project may be skeptical about the results of the implementation as a result of some unfavorable experience.
What can you do to reduce the incidence of these factors and achieve a real ITSM cultural change?
Resistance to change is one of the most important aspects to consider when starting an ITSM adoption project. While this can sometimes be a major challenge; there are multiple strategies you can use to achieve a successful ITSM cultural change. Among them are the following:
#1 Analyze your company’s current culture
What is the cultural dynamic present in your organization? what has been the behavior of the human factor in previous projects? which actors can be most resistant to change? is there a collaborative culture among team members?
Answering these questions can help you to promote the ITSM cultural change in a simpler way because from the results of the analysis you can determine the best strategies to start the adaptation process.
#2 Convince people of the need for transformation
The objective of this stage is to effectively sell the idea that the approaching change will be favorable not only for the organization but also for everyone involved. To do this, you must apply effective communication methods that allow team members to truly understand what the transformation involves. As a result, it will be easier for them to engage and understand what is expected of their participation.
For efficient message delivery, there are a few simple steps you can take:
- Provide stakeholders with a strong business case that validates the need for transformation.
- If possible, communicate individually with each team member to answer all of their concerns and build cohesion and trust in the team.
- Manage expectations carefully and communicate clearly the objectives you want to achieve.
- Also, talk about the challenges that change can bring and promote an exchange of ideas where everyone can express their opinions.
#3 Make sure you use all the required resources
A good framework and an effective tool can exponentially facilitate the process of ITSM cultural change. For example, the set of best practices proposed by ITIL includes, as part of its initial stage, the deployment of strategies to make organizational transformation easier. This can be a big help if you do not know where to start.
On the other hand, an ITIL-based software solution would allow you to adopt the strategies of this framework more simply. As a result, you could automatically design a system of measurement and continuous improvement; by assessing whether the results obtained in relation to the ITSM cultural change are in line with initial expectations. If you want to use one effective tool to track all ITIL processes and facilitate ITSM culture change, you can invest in the Freshservice solution.
Key factors for the success of ITSM cultural change
- Involve and convince senior management as well
- Maintain consistency between the project plan and its implementation.
- Try to follow a work schedule that is right for everyone.
- Facilitate a reward system to motivate team members after achieving any of the objectives established.
The human factor always represents the most important aspect of any business project; since it is the people who generate ideas, plan strategies and execute important processes. For this reason, the commitment of all the actors involved in the implementation of ITSM represents a key factor in obtaining the best results from IT Service Management. So, remember always to prioritize people over processes and tools.
Learn more about the best tools to achieve a successful ITSM implementation. Contact us for free, quality information from our experts.